Monday, May 5, 2014

Fabrics (and cars)

The transitional stays are finished now, along with a new regency chemise, and I'm now eagerly waiting for a chance to photograph them. In the meanwhile, I thought I'd share photos of some exciting fabric purchases.

Thanks to Hertzwerk-Freiburg, I was able to get enough of this pretty floral print cotton with a brown background (something I've tried to find for a while now) to make a dark floral robe à l'Anglaise out of. I'm hoping to get the dress done by August.


The next cotton fabric will turn into an early 1810s gown - very soon, I believe. This is the fabric that has been kicking me to get those regency undies done.


And the following fabric is actually polyester taffeta but at -70% discount I couldn't pass, so I bought six meters for 21 euros and have no regrets. It's a very nice quality and will eventually become a late 1780s/early 1790s robe à l'Anglaise... with a vandyke collar.. maybe... I haven't really decided yet because, in all probability, it's not happening this year.


In case you're not interested in seeing some old cars, you may stop reading this post now... ;)

As you may have noticed, I rarely write anything about my daily life here on the blog. I've always wanted to keep this quite strictly as a sewing blog only but now I'll make an exception. Last Thrusday there was an old car parade in celebration of May Day so my partner and I went out to see it. It was fun and I was actually surprised by the large number of cars there since I didn't expect to see more than just a few. We would have definitely arrived earlier if we had known there would be so much to see because now we had to rush to see most of it before the start of the parade. I was mostly interested in the eldest cars from the local car museum, although there were all sorts of vehicles dating up to late 1980s. I didn't get many good photos because it was a bit crowded there so that every time I tried to snap a photo someone would jump in the way - but here are some of my favorite shots.





The cars lined up for the parade in roughly chronological order...






The construction site and the supermarket made fine backgrounds for the photos, didn't they? ;)

7 comments:

  1. What beauties! We are about to get our grand old lady out for summer too. Would have done it last weekend but the starter engine broke. If you and your guy are in Helsinki area on some summer day in need of things to do, you could join us for a retro drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer - that would be lovely! I didn't remember you had a retro car, actually! Although, now that you mentioned it, I think I vaguely remember you writing something about it on Livejournal. No? Yes?

      Delete
  2. Costuming and Cars - my two greatest loves! It's so lovely to see them combined in one blog post (so rare too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought there might be others that share the love for both of these :) Although I can't say I'm a big enthusiast for cars in general. ;)

      Delete
  3. All your fabrics are wonderful! Can't wait to see the finished results. :-)

    And loved the pics of the car show! What a fun way to spend the afternoon! I'm not in the least knowledgeable about cars, but I do love looking at old ones! ;-)

    (oh! And I love your new header! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same as you - I know very little about cars. But now I'm planning a visit to the local car museum so maybe I can learn something there ;)

      I'm glad to hear the new header looks fine. :) I was never happy with the old one. :P

      Delete