Compared to the 1780's stays, these stays give you a much more straight profile at the front.
On the inside the seam allowances were whip-stitched down by hand.
I lined the stays first before adding the binding around the edges. I just kind of prefer the neat, finished look of doing it this way. Plus, you don't have to bind every tab separately.
Now I'm finally starting to feel confident enough to make a pair of hand-sewn stays, hopefully in not-too-distant future... It has always felt like such a waste of time to me to sew stays by hand because I would end up disliking them anyway as I knew I didn't know enough to make a really good pair... Anyhow, the next post is going to be about other undergarments I made for 1760's costumes.